The following steps summarize how to perform a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) driveline dressing change with use of Mastisol® Liquid Adhesive and Detachol® Adhesive Remover, as demonstrated by Abigail Vowels, RN, BSN. Vowels is the Circulatory Device Program Leader at Dignity Health/Mercy General Hospital.
In this example, a pre-packaged driveline dressing maintenance kit is used. Please note that kit configurations and components may vary between different facilities. Providers should adhere to their organization’s best practices for LVAD site care.
- Wash hands thoroughly
- Ensure the procedure is done in a sterile space
- Open pre-packaged dressing maintenance kit
- Remove and put on provided attire, including masks and hair caps for both the provider and patient (and anyone else in the room). The provider should also use gloves
- Saturate edges of the dressing with Detachol
- Gently lift dressing edges and continue applying/rubbing Detachol by squeezing the vial
- Continue application until dressing is completely removed. Once this is done, remove and discard gloves
- Sanitize hands and unfold the dressing kit into a sterile field
- Examine the driveline entry site, looking for signs of infection or irritation (redness, swelling, discharge, driveline tugging, etc.)
- Ensure skin is well-approximated around driveline for good adherence
- Replace gloves with a new, sterile pair
- Using a pre-filled chlorhexidine gluconate applicator, clean closely around the exit site for 30 seconds (scrubbing away from the site)
- Using a second pre-filled chlorhexidine gluconage applicator, clean the outer skin for an additional 30 seconds (scrubbing away from the site)
- Holding the replacement dressing up to the skin, approximate where Mastisol should be applied
- Apply a thin strip (half-inch wile) of Mastisol on the skin where the dressing edges will adhere; avoid driveline insertion site. Permit Mastisol to dry for approximately 20-30 seconds
- Place the new dressing over the exit site and secure the driveline with a stabilization device
Eloquest Healthcare, Inc. offers Mastisol® Liquid Adhesive and Detachol® Adhesive Remover to improve dressing/device adherence and facilitate efficient removal. For more information about Mastisol® Liquid Adhesive and Detachol® Adhesive Remover, please call 1-877-433-7626 or complete this form.
LVAD Driveline Dressing Change Including Mastisol Liquid Adhesive and Detachol Adhesive Remover. Demonstrated by Abigail Vowels, RN, BSN. Video by Eloquest Healthcare, Inc. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMLAUGYz3xM